Friday, June 19, 2009

Little's Birth Story

My little Wiggler came three weeks early! We were taken by complete surprise; I hadn't packed my hospital bag yet, talked to a pediatrician, or purchased any nursing bras/tops!

::picture a flashback graphic of some kind::

On Wednesday, I decided that I would much rather spend time with MyLovf, who had the day off, than go in to work. We had a pretty fun day; had an awesome breakfast, then went to Best Buy to look for a new camera and Target for some random stuff. After that, we came home and cleaned up a little bit and then I laid down on the couch at 5:00pm to take a nap. I had only been sleeping for about 15 minutes when I felt a huge gush! I popped up off the couch like a jack-in-the-box and ran to the bathroom yelling at MyLovf that my water had broken. He didn't believe me at first; but after he saw that my panties and jeans were completely soaked, he called my doctor to let him know what happened. I got to work putting my bag together, called my mom, texted some friends with an update and we left the house.

We stopped on the way to get some dinner and I'm so glad we did, they didn't let me eat anything once I was admitted! So mean...

We got to the hospital at about 7:00pm and they checked me. I was only dilated 1 cm and was 70% effaced, but they had to let me stay because of the water break. I started having contractions almost right after it broke; they felt like bad menstrual cramps, nothing I couldn't handle. We got all set up in the room and a nurse came in with an IV pole and two bags full of... something. She said that I had to get antibiotics every 4 hours even though I had passed my GBS and all other tests just because I wasn't quite 37 weeks yet (hello, we're talking one day shy)! So she set up an IV and HOLY MOLY did she suck! She must've poked my hand a thousand times before it was finally set up. I hated that damn thing, I asked like every 10 minutes if they could take it off. I was checked again at 3:00am, Thursday morning, and I was only 2 centimeters. The contractions were coming on pretty hard, but I could still breathe through them. Then they started pitocin on low (not something I was particularly happy about).

They only let me go a half hour before checking me again. I wasn't making any progress so they upped the pitocin a little more. By 4:00am I was in some serious pain. I was having to lean into MyLovf and my mom for every single contraction and I was crying pretty much the entire time. The nurses kept asking if I would consider the epi, so I had them check me again before I made my decision. When she said that I was at 3 cm, I threw in the towel. I think that if she said 6 or 7 cm, I probably would've been able to stick to my goal and go through with the med free birth, but when she said 3, I deflated. The pitocin made the contractions h.o.r.r.i.b.l.e, but it wasn't doing it's job in making me dilate or regulating my contractions. I asked for the epi then. The anesthesiologist told me all about what to expect when he administered the stuff, but it in no way prepared me for the pain! It was the worst I'd experienced up to that point (and that's saying something)! It burned and I cried; I cried that hard, ugly, snot-running-from-your-nose cry. Of course I couldn't move, and the contractions I was having in the mean time seemed to never end! I leaned hard into my nurse (who was fantastic) and buried my face into her scrubs till the dude was done back there. After it was placed, it took about 15 minutes to kick in, and once that happened I could breathe again. MyLovf told me later that he was ready to get up off the couch and deck the anesthesiologist because he was making me cry.

The pitocin was upped again and at 5:00am, an hour after I got the epi, I had gone to 5 cm and was "very thin". Yay! Finally some progress! I was able to sleep in between checks, which was nice. I was so very tired! They woke me up again at 10:00am and finally said those magic words... "You're complete! Time to start pushing!" And I thought to myself, "I'm about to have a baby!... OMG! I'm about to have a BABY!"

But wait! I couldn't push right away (even though I wanted to) because my doctor wasn't at the hospital! I had to wait a good 20-25 minutes for my doc to get there before I was able to get down to business. I felt this amazing pressure and told my mom that I wasn't sure if I could wait for the doc and she ran out to find a nurse. Luckily, my doc had just arrived and he came right into my room. I pushed for a little while; probably about 15 minutes, when he said that he was worried that I might be too tired to continue on my own. It was an "aw HELL naw!" moment. I had just woken up and I felt rested, I knew I could push for a while longer! I think it was because I still wasn't feeling much because of the epi. I was determined to get my baby out without a c-section! I went another 10 minutes before he said that he could see Little's head and that he should be out very soon! I pushed a couple more times and then I looked up at MyLovf, who was holding back my left leg and he had this expression on his face that melted me. I've never seen him that way before. I about lost it; I had to look away from him and completely refocus to get my Little Man out. A couple more pushes and he was here! Born at 10:56am; 6 pounds, 11 ounces and 19 inches long.

It's funny looking back on it now because I had always thought that people were exaggerating when they talked about the instant love that just floods through you the moment you set eyes on your baby. It's totally true, believe me! They put Little on my chest and I was overwhelmed. He is absolutely the most beautiful thing I've ever laid my eyes on. I looked over at MyLovf and that look was back on his face. We stared at each other for a minute and then stared at our little miracle for a while before they took him away to weigh and clean him up. He gave me the most amazing kiss and then went over to watch what they were doing to our Little while I got stitched up. I ended up with a 2nd degree tear and they had to use the vacuum to get him out : (

MyLovf was completely amazing through the whole thing. There's no way that I could've done this without him by my side. He held me and encouraged me through the eleven hours of labor before the epi (even though I know it killed him to see me in that much pain) and was my biggest cheerleader while I was pushing. I've fallen in love with him all over again, and in a completely different way than the first time. I know he's going to be an amazing dad, he loves our little boy so much!

So that's the story of my Little's birth. It was totally the opposite of everything I was hoping for, but in the end a happy, healthy baby and mama are all that matters!

They ended up keeping me in the hospital an extra day because I was running a low grade fever through the night. But I was all better by Saturday and we were able to go home : )


Bee said...

Congrats, Lovf! He is so cute and I love all the smiling labor pictures (even if you weren't smiling all the time). :) I can't wait for more updates and pictures!!

Amy said...

Congratulations! He is absolutely gorgeous!

Rsgrl said...

What an amazing story! Congratulations!

JNR said...

Congrats Lovf! He is so stinkin' cute!

Mrs. Goodson...Woo Hoo!! said...

What an amazing story.....congrats!

Mel said...

congrats lovf! he is totally adorable and i'm so glad both you and he are doing well! enjoy every second!

Mrs.F said...

Congrats!!! He is so adorable. I'm so looking forward to when I can meet my little one & can't wait for that instant love like you described :) You looked beautiful even after labor!

Anonymous said...

I love the story and he is absolutely precious! YOu look beautiful through out, I love your smiling labor pictures!