Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Oh my gosh, where is the time going?

Has it seriously been two months since my Little was born?! Wow. Just. Wow. He's changed so much in the last eight weeks, that if I hadn't been there to see it with my own eyes, I would doubt I was looking at the baby I brought home with me in June. My Little has outgrown the Newborn onsies and is into the 3 month ones! It was nice to open up the box to a whole new wardrobe, bittersweet, but nice. I felt a little pang while packing up the things he's outgrown, but I quickly reminded myself that it meant he's healthy and flourishing. That thought definitely put a smile on my face! The last couple of weeks have brought better head control and actual eye contact, but my favorite new things are the smiling and increase in cute little noises. OMG the cooing just melts my heart. I can't wait for him to start laughing and interacting with me more!

We have had many adventures in our two short months together, including not one, not two, but three trips to California. I'm so not one of those women that takes to confinement very well. I can't bear to stay in the house for more than a couple of days at a time. My Little and I venture out whenever we can. We run errands or go visiting; we can't do parks and stuff yet, but only because it's still so hot! Once October rolls around, we'll be able to spend more time outside. The weekends we don't go to Cali are usually spent at my parents' house. My mom and aunt (who is staying with them for a while) have been so helpful to us, I really don't know what we'd do without them. When we're over there, they're all about giving us a break. One of them will take Little in the morning and let MyLovf and I sleep in, they'll make us meals and generally just take care of us while we're there. I lovf it, I just wish we didn't have to drive an hour to get there!

MyLovf and I took Little in on Wednesday for his 2 month Well Baby check up. He has gone from 6lbs 11oz to 11lbs 3.5oz and has grown from 19 inches to 23. Grow Baby, Grow! The doctor said that he is totally perfect and that I'm doing an awesome job with him, which is always nice for a new mother to hear... but then the needles came out and oh boy, did that nice visit go downhill fast! My poor sweet baby never saw it coming. He was lying there, minding his own business, flailing his arms around and staring up at his daddy (because I'm a total wuss and couldn't stand next to him) and all of a sudden ::poke::. The corners of his little mouth turned down, his eyes got really big and he screeeeeeamed. And then ::poke:: and another scream. And then ::poke:: and another scream accompanied by the biggest crocodile tears ever. I could see his face from the other side of the exam room and it took everything in me to not totally break down. My heart broke and a few tears escaped. He cried for a few minutes, it really wasn't too bad. I, of course, made a bigger deal out of it than it was. Afterward, we ran a few errands and then headed back to the house.

We'd been home for about an hour when he woke up from his nap and started screaming bloody murder; giving me my first lesson in "after shot protocol". I was instructed to give him Tylenol for the pain every 4 hours, but not wanting to disturb his nap, I let him sleep through the 4th hour, which allowed for the pain killers to completely leave his body. Big, big, huge, gigantic mistake. I've never heard such a cry, and you could tell it was the Holy-Moly-This-Freaking-Hurts-What-Did-You-People-Do-To-Me cry. He would completely exhaust his oxygen supply, take a deeeeeep breath, and then exhaust it again. I gave him another does of Tylenol, but it took me a good half hour to calm him down and get him back to sleep, and there were more tears from me. I felt so bad that he was in pain. You can trust me when I say that I will never again skip, ignore, or otherwise deviate from the 4 hour dosing schedule!

MyLovf and I are adapting to our new roles as parents. We have our good days and our bad days, but we become more solid in our new little family unit with each day that passes. It hasn't been easy(!), but it has all been worth it. Things got much better for us when we decided that anything said between midnight and 4am would be forgotten in the morning. Frustration, exhaustion, and a crying baby can make for some pretty gnarly arguments, so I believe the "rule" is invaluable, otherwise we'd be perpetually pissed at each other!

Breastfeeding is getting much better for me, I finally had the magic feeding a few days ago where you get half way through before you realize that latch/let down didn't hurt at all! My supply is also improving, Little only takes 2-3 2oz bottles a day now, down from a 2oz supplement after every feeding. I think that may have something to do with the Mother's Milk Tea that a good friend sent to me. Thank you Sniffy! And I also nursed in public for the first time over the weekend. We were out to dinner with my parents and I was feeling pretty full, so it was kind of a necessity on my end, Little would've been fine with a bottle. It wasn't as weird or uncomfortable as I thought it would be, and I used a "hooter hider" so people passing by didn't give us a second look. I was proud *cheesy grin*.

So, overall, we're doing fantastically well. Each day brings a new experience and every day I'm home with him is a blessing. He is the brightest light of our lives and from the bottom of my heart, I thank God every day for putting him into our arms.


Rachel H. said...

He is SO cute and so TAN! I hope my baby comes out that tan! :)