Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Rough and scary couple of days!

It all came on so fast! My head is still reeling.

On Sunday morning, I noticed that my Little felt warmer than normal. I took his temperature and it was 99.3 so I called the nurse line for the Pedi. The triage nurse told me that unless his temp hit 100.4, it wasn't considered a medical emergency and to just keep an eye on him. I took his temperature periodically throughout the day, and it didn't get much higher, but he did get steadily more fussy. When he got home from work, MyLovf pointed out a little red spot under his right nostril; didn't think much of it because he tends to scratch himself, so that's what I thought it was. On Monday morning we woke up to a VERY swollen lip and the little red spot was now an ugly red splotch between his nose to his lip and the fever had gone higher. I called the Pedi with my concerns and he scheduled us an appt for the same day. We got in at 11:45 and the Pedi looked him over. He didn't seem too worried about the fever, but the lip made him very concerned. If you lifted his top lip a little bit, you could see two large (for him) pockets of what looked like puss. The doc didn't know what they were, so he had me bring my Little to the emergency room at Phoenix Children's Hospital for an evaluation.

We got to the hospital around 1 o'clock. They took blood and swabbed some of the puss for a culture. When the blood test came back, it showed infection and that his white blood cell count was elevated. The doc was so concerned that he ordered a spinal tap for my poor sweet baby to make sure that the infection hadn't spread to his spine or his brain. OMG, the absolute terror I felt at that statement! The nurses told us that it would probably be better for the both of us to go to the waiting room for that, so we did. I feel horribly guilty looking back for leaving him all alone for a painful and probably very traumatic experience just so that I wouldn't break down and cry. I wasn't able to feed him for almost 5 hours before the spinal because they didn't want him to aspirate anything (which probably meant that they were expecting some pretty hard crying), but they did hook him up to an IV so that he was getting some nutirition. The doc decided that he needed to be admitted overnight so we waited in the ER for a room upstairs. We were there for almost 9 hours!

They finally moved us into a room where they pumped him full of antibiotics. Little wouldn't let me put him down, he was very uncomfortable! The doc hadn't given any instructions about pain management, so the nurses couldn't give him anything. And he was in a lot of pain. The doc had squeezed the puss pocket to drain some of the puss... which was green! So a screaming Little and I spent our first hour walking up and down the hall in front of the nurses' station until the doc finally said that they could give him some Tylenol. A half hour later, he was asleep and I was trying to get comfortable in the pull out chair next to his bed.

On Tuesday morning they let me know that I wouldn't be able to feed him again until an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor had a chance to check him out. They didn't want his tummy full if they decided to schedule a ::gulp:: surgery. Granted, it would've been a very minor surgery to open up the puss pocket under his lip and drain it out completely, but still, just hearing the word freaked me out. Luckily, they decided that the surgery wasn't needed after all because the pocket was draining on it's own. The no-feeding thing lasted only about an hour. The ENT doc finally got to us at 3PM and decided that we needed to stay another night and have more antibiotics administered. At 4PM, we got word that the spinal revealed nothing alarming (thank God) and that we might be able to go home the next morning. I left MyLovf and my Little for a couple of hours to go home and take a shower. Other than that little break, I haven't left the hospital since Monday afternoon!

On Wednesday afternoon we got the results of the culture back. Turns out that he had a staph infection! We have no idea were it came from, but it was a particularly nasty strain. The doc came in to check him over and ordered more antibiotics. He told us that they were doing something else with the cultures and that pending the results from that, we might be getting out by the end of the day. An hour later, we found out that the lab was backed up and that we wouldn't be getting the results until Thursday, which meant another night in the hospital and a few more rounds of antibiotics. They moved us to a different room too. Not sure why exactly, but now I have to deal with a snoring neighbor. Man, I was seriously spoiled by the private room I enjoyed when I gave birth!

So here I am, sitting on the little fold out chair next to my sleeping baby and blogging. I was going out of my mind from boredom, but didn't want to bring the laptop over. I figured that it would be just one more thing to haul to the truck when they let us go home in an another hour... in another hour... 60 hours of telling myself that over and over and I finally broke! Anyway, I'm praying that tomorrow will be the last day we have to be here. In my uneducated opinion, my Little is all better. He's been smiling and cooing all day like nothing is wrong, his temperature has been completely normal and he is eating like a little piggy. Of course, we'll probably still be here most of the day Thursday, the doctors are all so busy, but I really hope that I don't have to spend another night on this thing, it's kind of screwing up my back.

Not everything has been horrible though. The Medela breast pump that they let me use is amazing! I wish I could afford to get one. And the food in the cafeteria is soooo good and inexpensive!

Thanks to all that have been praying for my Little. I can't tell you how much it means to us to know that so many people out there care about our little family and that you'd all go out of your way to include us in your thoughts. I hope my update tomorrow will be made from the comfort of my own home!

I took a picture of him while we were in the emergency room, you can't really tell that he's swollen, but you can see the red splotch:


Scullyhoyy said...

Poor baby! i really hope you guys get to come home today. ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Your poor little guy! How incredibly scary! I'm sending lots of love and prayers and good vibes your way! :)

flojat said...

Poor little guy! I'm so glad he's feeling better, and I'm so ready for you to be able to take him home! You're such a good mommy. Squeeze his toes from me! (((hugs)))

Shell said...

OH man hislovf, I'm so sorry. I'm glad your LO will be ok. Your poor baby! give him a hug and kiss from Ms. Shell1016. Poor thing.

Eclipsed said...

What an ordeal for you and your family. I'm so glad that your little guy is doing better and that you're getting to go home. You're in my thoughts.

Lindsey said...

I'm so glad to hear your LO is on the mend. I can't even imagine how scared you must have been!

Leannabanna said...

Oh, Lovf, I am so glad to hear that he is on his road to recovery. Poor little guy.