Monday, May 11, 2009

Baby Shower!

The past weekend was really an adventure! But I can honestly say that I'm glad it's over; not that I didn't have a good time, it was just very exhausting.

We got up on Saturday morning at 3 (yes, 3AM) and left the house for Cali at 4. I'm lucky DH likes to drive, if I had taken the wheel, we probably would've ended up a smear on the center divider; I fell asleep like five minutes after we got onto the freeway! My poor honey only had the furbabies to keep him company till I woke up again two hours later needing to pee like a racehorse! I counted eight stops total, six to pee and two to get food. The drive only takes six hours! LOL

So we finally get to Ontario, we drop off the dogs at the boarding kennel, and then had to go to Robbins Bros about DH's wedding ring (again)! Little back story: this is the ring that DH originally had:
It's black titanium with a tension set diamond in it. Really nice, and totally his style, but if the prongs get pulled apart, even a little bit, the diamond falls out! It had happened twice before and both times we were able to find the diamond and just have them repair it (lifetime warranty). When it happened for the third time last Sunday, we weren't able to find it. I think the dog ate it! So, long story short, the customer service people said that we could bring it back and exchange it for a new one. Yay! When we get to the store, we're informed that he can't do a straight exchange for the same one because they don't work with that vendor anymore! He was so bummed, he really lovfed that ring. They gave us full credit for the old one and turned him loose to find his new ring. After looking at everything they had in the store (twice), he decided on a new Tungston one.
Nice huh? Only problem? It's valued at $350 LESS than the black one. Solution... he gets TWO rings! He also chooses this titanium one for everyday use.
He'll use the tungston one for special occasions and when we go out. New problem, we still have $250 credit, and if we don't use it now, we'll never be able to! So he also got me a 3rd Year Anniversary / Mother's Day present...
They're so pretty! I lovf them! After taxes and everything, we only ended up paying an additional $40! We spent so much time at the store that I didn't have time to get a pedicure before the party (and trust me, I really need one!) We high-tailed it to our friends' house. I changed and did my hair and then we were off to our baby shower! We only arrived about 45 minutes late... woops!

**I don't have any pictures to post right now, I didn't take any with my camera. My SIL promised to send me the ones she took very soon, so I'll post them as soon as I get them.**

My SIL and Trav did an awesome job! They really know how to throw a party! There were checkered flags everywhere, which I was really happy to see, it wasn't over the top babyish and suited us just perfectly! They hired a taco lady to do the cooking, I think I ate like a dozen tacos, they were so good ::drool:: The cake tasted like heaven, but they spelled my name wrong! You'd figure Jen wouldn't be that confusing, but it somehow ended up "Jeni". No biggie, I ate it anyway ; ) Music was good, games were fun, and it was so great to see our friends and hang out for a few hours.

There were a couple of disappointing things that happened though:

First, hardly anyone came. Nearly everyone that we sent invites to RSVPd that they would be there, but only about half of them showed up. I was bummed. : (

Second, we didn't get very much off of the registry. I know it's horrible of me to say, and I really am grateful for what we got, but I was hoping that we wouldn't have too much to buy ourselves after the shower. Little Dude got a shit-ton of clothes and three custom blankets, but no pack-n-play, no crib sheets, no carrier/sling, only four bottles(!) and a lot of cute things to hang on the wall or other decorations. I guess I should've listened when people told me not to announce what we're having. It really is true that if people know what it is, they'll gravitate to the cutesy, gender-specific clothing rather than purchase the essentials... like a Diaper Genie or boppy pillow.

And lastly, my FIL called two hours before the shower started to let us know that he wasn't coming. Evidently, he was mad at us because my brothers-in-law didn't get their invitations. He gave DH a huge speech about the importance of family and how it was awful of us not to invite them... Except that we did... I was assured that the invites were sent out and I have no reason to believe that my SIL was lying. We won't even go into the irony of DH being chastised for not being a good brother when it was the other two that would steal from him to fund their drug habits and have had minimal contact with him for at least 10 years. Yeah... we won't go into that. So FIL boycotted our shower, which really upset me, which in turn upset DH, who then had to have a "talk" with his mother for a good 30 minutes during the shower. Fun times.

The shower ended around 6:30, but of course, there was an after party! The guys that had been hiding in the garage busted out the beer pong table and commenced getting smashed. The other young mother that was there (first time meeting her) decided to regale me with tales of her birth experience and how she would recommend having a c-section to everyone regardless of their medical status or birthing preference. I tried to stay away from her, but it wasn't working out that well. At around 9 I was half dead, but I didn't want to pull DH away from his friends knowing that we wouldn't be seeing them again for a long while. We left about 11. I was the DD (of course) and also gave another guy a ride home. We had to stop for gas and he decided that he was starving, so he walked across the parking lot to the Jack in the Box. Hilarity ensued when he walked up to the cashier and told him that he was "drunk and need food!" The look on the cashier's face was priceless. He then ordered "10 of those, and 5 of those" pointing to a couple of pictures on the menu. I didn't even see what he got till he started pulling stuff out of the bag. Hamburgers and tacos. And between him, DH and I, they were all gone by the time we got back to the house. : )

We were supposed to leave for home on Sunday, but DH got a call from his mother saying that she really wanted us to come over for a while the next day. DH was hesitant because he thought that we would end up getting grilled by FIL for the brother drama from the day before. By that time, I was just annoyed that he had boycotted our shower over a stupid misunderstanding and now, even though everything had been explained, he wouldn't just drop it. Turns out that FIL wouldn't even be home and DH decided it was ok to go, he wasn't going to originally because he knows how upset I was and didn't want me to be stressed out. So we made plans to stay the extra day and then went out to lunch with our friends and watched the Lakers lose their asses. WTH was up with that game anyway?! Ugh! We got back to the house and then spent the rest of Sunday afternoon in the pool. It was so relaxing! I also got a Soon-to-be Mother's Day present from my friend; some yummy perfume and a cute little frame : )

On Monday we packed everything up, loaded our dogs and then went to my IL's house. The reason she wanted us there was because she was having some work done to her house and didn't want to be alone with the repair guy. Silly, she could've just told us that! We hung out with her for a few hours and then left for home at 3. This time, we only made four pit stops, but none of them were for food! LOL We got home at 8 and then I spent two hours in the nursery hanging stuff and organizing clothes, toys, etc. At 10:30 I was snuggled into my own bed.

Barring the little (but not so little) disappointments, it was a very fun weekend. I know I'll be spending the next few days in the nursery sorting through clothes and toys and hanging stuff up on the walls. I'm waiting on the BRU completion coupon before we finish up our shopping. I'm dreading having to compile the list of all the things we didn't get at the shower. That should add up to a nice little chunk of change **I really AM grateful, I just sound like a brat right now**

Hopefully I'll have the pictures by the time I post my Weekly on Thursday.


Mrs.F said...

You don't sound like a brat... I know how you feel! We got TONS of clothes at my first shower & maybe 2 or 3 things off the registry (small stuff under $40) so I'm hoping we get a lot more for my next shower haha

Molly said...

I see how what you're saying could make you sound like a brat, but I really don't take it that way at all. Maybe because I'm a brat too, but seriously, we register for a reason, and while we know folks don't HAVE to buy off the registry, it's certainly a help.

Makes me more mindful when I attend showers and such...I always buy off the registry (or if there's not something I can afford, I purchase a gift card to the appropriate store). bah

Glad you had a fun and adventurous weekend though!

flojat said...

I'm glad you had fun at your shower, in spite of some of the disappointments. Sounds like a great weekend!

Jenna said...

The registry thing was one of the (many) reasons we didn't find out what we are having. I have been to numerous showers where the sex is known and they never get what they NEED, just a bunch of clothes and such. It's okay to sound like a brat about it :) People should know that you don't need a millions outfits - they can get you those once he is here! (Kendall has no shortage of clothes in her closet and hasn't since she was born - I just cleaned out what no longer fits (2 rubbermaids FULL) and her closet is just as full as it was!)

Anyways - that sucks about not getting what you need, sorry you have to go buy it now :(