Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, July 26, 2013

Now I’ve Done It

Why do people ask you for your honest opinion on something if they’re not willing to hear what you have to say? You can’t ask for that and then get mad when the person being questioned says something you don’t like. Ugh.

My sister is mad at me because I told her that I don’t care for their front-running Girl name.

Now, I’m very aware that my opinion on their name choice doesn’t matter one single iota. I’m not so vain as to think they’ll change their minds because I don’t like the name. It doesn’t matter whether or not I like it, and that’s exactly what I told her. But she doesn't seem to understand that part (or she's just looking for a reason to get annoyed). She’s angry with me because my honest opinion is that the name she likes won’t age well, doesn’t pass my own personal resume test, and is better suited as a nickname rather than a given name. She tried to get back at me by challenging me to ask for HER honest opinion on our name choices. I responded with “Go ahead and tell me. Just know that I don’t give two shiny shits what your opinion is. I like them and MyLovf likes them, and that’s all that matters. NAME YOUR CHILD WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT!” She never did tell me what she thought of our names...

My mom took her side and got on my case for not being “supportive”. I told her that I wasn’t going to lie to someone that asked me for my honest opinion. Why am I in trouble!? It’s not like I’m going to love my potential niece any less because of her name. I’ll use it happily and never mention my distaste for it ever again. To my way of thinking, once a name is concrete it’s no longer up for debate or critique. It is not, as of yet, concrete. Plus… SHE’S THE ONE THAT ASKED! I didn’t just offer up my thoughts unsolicited; I wouldn’t do that.

Her being so super-hyper-sensitive about every.little.thing is grating on my already grated nerves. I’m about ready to take a break from her.

0 comments: