Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Oh the pressure... of a name...

I know Kit, this sucks.

Picking out a name for Little Man was hard, but I don't remember agonizing over the decision the way I am right now and we still have approximately 29 weeks to figure it out!

**If we're having another boy, I'm rambling and angry for no reason whatsoever. I just need to get this off my chest right now.**

We had our girl name picked out before we even knew that Little Man was a boy. It was darling. It was beautiful. It had awesome sentimental meaning... and then E.L. James wrote that horrible piece of fiction that has sold over 70 million copies. That's more than all of the Harry Potter books combined (yes, I'm a Potterhead, get over it)!

I'm sad for our generation. :(

Anyway, about a week ago I found out that our sweet name was used in the book. I understand she's not a main character, but she does play an important role in the story. I put out some feelers and it isn't an immediate association, but with the movie adaptation coming out six months after I'm due, I'm thinking it would eventually click in peoples' minds the way Rosalie, Jasper, or Esme brings Twilight to the forefront. I HATE that! Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

Our perfect name is forever tarnished in my mind.

MyLovf doesn't think it's a big deal and we should use it anyway, but I can't bring myself to use a name from a book that "is notable for its explicitly erotic scenes featuring elements of sexual practices involving bondage/discipline, dominance/submission, and sadism/masochism." Could you do it!? Knowing what you know, could you go ahead and give your innocent, gorgeous daughter a moniker that people will associate with a character that started a raunchy sexual affair with a boy when he was 15 years old?

I can't. I just can't do it.

My honey is annoyed at the thought of having to replace the name we've had picked out for the last almost five years, but I don't think he realizes how off putting the whole thing has been for me. I still really like the name, except now, every time I think about it, I picture rope and whips and ball gags. Ugh. I've been throwing around different names since I found out, but he hasn't warmed up to anything yet.

On the flip side, I was talking to my mom yesterday about boys' names and asked about the proper spelling of my paternal grandfather's name. She wanted to know why I wasn't going to use one of my Dad's names since we used my FIL's middle name for LM's middle name. She must've forgotten that I am forbidden! Forbidden by both of my brothers (who each have one of his names, but no sons to pass it to) from ever using it! She even took their side when we were in hot debate about it. Whatever. I like my Grandpa's name and none of my other cousins have used it, so it's mine!!! Oh yeah, I'm calling dibs.

0 comments: